Are you a bedridden shut-in obsessed with gunning down a burglar without having to get up and put your slippers on? Well, today’s your lucky day! For the low-low price of $39.95, you too can have a mattress mounted shotgun rack! The Back-Up’s website exhorts you to buy “one for each side of the bed”.
While the website claims, “this product is not intended for use in homes with children”, the rhetoric they use to sell the product is specifically geared toward the “protection of families” and Back Up’s shills actually use a picture of a family with young children as one of the four main images on their website.
The FAQs are equally mind-boggling. Here’s my favorite: “I travel a lot for business or hunting. Is The Back-Up© portable?”
“Yes The Back-Up© is very light and portable. The unique patented design and construction gives you the ability to collapse it easily for travel, and place it wherever you need it.”
Of course, the zippy ad above doesn’t tell you that:
- The risk of homicide in the home is three times greater in households with guns.
- The risk of suicide is five times greater in households with guns.
- From 1990-1998, over two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse murder victims were killed with guns.
- Guns are the weapon of choice for troubled individuals who commit suicide. In 2004, firearms were used in 16,750 suicide deaths in America. Among young people under 20, more than two young lives were lost daily to firearm-related suicides.
- Due to firearm suicides, there are more than twice as many suicide victims in states with high household firearm ownership.
- A gun in the home also increases the likelihood of an unintentional shooting, particularly among children. Unintentional shootings commonly occur when children find an adult’s loaded handgun in a drawer or closet, and while playing with it shoot themselves, a sibling or a friend. The unintentional firearm-related death rate for children 0-14 years old is NINE times higher in the U.S. than in the 25 other countries combined.
And of course the Back-Up’s chief cheerleader is none other than Fox News:
Order NOW and they’ll send you a FREE box of lawn darts! Fun for all the family!